Monday, September 29, 2008

Field Based Training

So, I’ve just returned from Field Based Training, which was quite an interesting experience, to say the least. As a group, we left around 7:45 on Tuesday to get to the department of Sololá before 11 AM to meet with a PC Volunteer stationed there. Miraculously, we were on time, despite various delays en route, which included land slide road blocks and one prolonged stop at the Burger King drive through (which is quite popular here, I might add.)

We arrived at the hostel, where all sixteen of the sustainable agriculture volunteers (eight of marketing and eight of food security) were housed for the week, set our stuff down and set off to explore the market in the capital city of the department, as it was a market day. Market day typically happens two to three times per week depending on the size of the city, and since we were in the capital, the market was particularly extensive. Exploring the market in Sololá, which was not too different from the market in Antigua, with which I’m more familiar, one can find everything from live chickens to custom made indigenous garb to dried fish to pirated DVDs. The motto of one of the staple stores in my old town of Waconia – Duebers - comes to mind: “If we don’t have it, you don’t need it.” I’ll be sure to include pictures when I get a chance.

At this market, I first encountered the male version of traje – or indigenous dress (Tra – Hey). Previously I’d been told that it was very uncommon to see men in traje, but not only was it there in an overwhelming presence; there was a proportionate lack of Spanish. Most of the people were spitting back and forth in K’aqchiquel, the majority Mayan dialect of Solola (there are 22 recognized dialects in all of Guatemala). I’m told that each region’s traje is distinct, and that each is particularly proud of its own version. I witnessed this first hand in one of the small villages in which we were working when I encountered a crucified Jesus Christ donning the regional traje of Sololá in a Catholic Church.

We got a chance to work with some of the small producers that were so common in the market on Wednesday, when the Marketing Group gave four successive charlas, or presentations, to a local co-op of K’aqchiquel farmers. My own topic, “What is Added Value?,” entailed discussion of sanitation and packaging, and was geared towards gaining higher prices for their respective harvests. Apparently it wasn’t as riveting as I had anticipated it would be; I had two shameless sleepers, in the front row nonetheless. But it could’ve been worse, I suppose.

Aside from our presentations, we were set to harvest onions and prepare them for export, to get our hands dirty, but unfortunately that never panned out because when we went to meet with our willing farmer, he was nowhere to be found. Instead we readied ourselves to blanket the nearby tourist hub of Panajachel to speak with managers and owners about their current vegetable purchasing and to probe the interest in local products from the surrounding villages. That was actually pretty cool, I must say. As pairs of gringos, we were pretty well received and it was good Spanish practice. My partner and I made it to about ten hotels and restaurants before our progress came to a screeching halt with the arrival of a heavy rain

As a group, we stayed in Panajachel to watch the debate, which, despite our location in the middle of Central America, hours removed from even the center of politics in country, was displayed with a projector on an entire wall of the bar while all other noises were silenced. Needless to say, it was a pretty big event in Panajachel that night.

Now, I’m back in my town, in my own bed and thankful for three square meals a day.
Until next time..

No comments: