Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Independence Day

So I write to you all today on Guatemala’s Independence Day, a grand occasion if I’ve ever seen one, I must say. On this day in 1821, Guatemala declared its independence from Spain, entering into country-hood only 55 years, two months and eleven days after the United States of America. In the past week or so, many of my discussions with Guatemalans and fellow trainees alike have centered on the festivities surrounding this national day of celebration. Thus, it’s been brought to my attention just how little people know about OTHER countries’ independence.

Take me for example. Until a few years ago, it never occurred to me that not only was U.S. Independence Day not celebrated elsewhere, but that other countries (even Canada and Mexico, go figure) had their own, distinct independence days. I’ve since learned to distinguish national holidays, like Thanksgiving, from global holidays by envisioning the history taking place as they were taught in elementary school. For instance, when I picture the Pilgrims and the Indians, decked out in their respective buckled hats and feathered headbands, sitting down to a bountiful cornucopia, I can’t imagine it happening anywhere else in the world. (Now, as to whether or not the history actually happened that way, who’s to say?) Many of the trainees agreed that we hadn’t considered the idea of another country’s independence, because even though we may have learned about a few here and there, they were never significant enough to warrant a celebration that rivaled the 4th of July.

Now, for an example from the Department of Sacatepéquez, Guatemala - a town not far from Alotenango where a friend of mine is stationed. He lives with a very nice, and for the most part, in-the-know family. When he broached the topic of independence with his host father, a very proud Guatemalan national, naturally the first question the man had was, “So, do you celebrate the 15th of September in the United States?” My friend, being the culturally sensitive and well coached trainee he is, noted that although we do not celebrate Guatemalan Independence Day on the 15th of September, we do celebrate the day of our own independence, July 4th. He went on to say, “Every year on the 4th of July, the US celebrates the anniversary of the day it declared independence from...” Here, his host father didn’t miss a beat; “ah yes, from Hitler.”

My friend, speechless at this apparent confusion, politely corrected him, “Actually, the U.S. declared independence from England. We were once a colony of theirs.” He went on to say, “Our first president George Washington,” and his host father stopped him again to clarify, “you mean, George Bush?” From here, I think the conversation quickly dissolved, mostly due to the imposing language barrier. But, I don’t doubt that he was happy to use the language deficiency crutch to excuse himself from that situation.

So, in an ongoing effort to overcome my own cultural ignorance and integrate myself into Guatemalan culture, tonight I accompanied my site mate and his host family to a celebration of Independence – the Antorcha, a spectacle of sorts. Towns from all over the country rally their schools to put together a group of runners to represent themselves, with several students carrying a banner bearing the town’s name and one or two more carrying lit torches. They travel from town to town in school buses, stopping just outside the town to get off, running en masse through the town, soliciting cheers and, more frequently, buckets of water from the crowds gathered around the main streets. Even as a spectator you’re lucky to come out dry - so, I wore my raincoat. Regardless, I was happy to sip some arroz con leche (a hot Guatemalan beverage like Rice Pudding) on a cool night while watching the sporadic stream of runners. It was nice to blend in a little, or at least try. I’m still a gringa..

Until next time..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These blogs are truly awesome. I am learning so much through them, I loved the part where the guy said"ah, yes Hitler". And might I say your writing skills are impeccable! Hope all is well! Do you have skype?