Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I'm freakin out, MAN!

I've had about six cups of coffee today and I don't anticipate being able to sleep tonight, so I’m trying to find anything and everything productive I can do. Currently I’m catching up on several weeks’ worth of news in Antigua; apparently there's a financial crisis snowballing out of control? This is news to me.

Amidst all this tension surrounding the site assignments, my fellow trainees and I have been looking for escape mechanisms left and right. As opposed to integrating ourselves completely, several of us have reached a point where the commercial and trivial things that have come to characterize the states have become comforting, to the point that they offer a temporary refuge from the immersion with which we are faced.

For example, on Sunday, some Marketing friends and I got together, and before long, I found myself sitting around a bonfire, holding a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee, eating mashed potatoes and salad, while listening to country music on someone’s iPod speakers. I can’t put into words how therapeutic that was. Now, with less than 24 hours until the announcement of our permanent sites, I really have nothing more fitting to say at the moment than, I'm freakin’ OUT.

Expect to hear from me tomorrow concerning my site!
Until next time..

No comments: