Monday, October 20, 2008

Velorio and Cepelio

I’ve just gotten back from a very eventful week at my permanent site, where I will install myself the morning of Novemebr 5th, following the long awaited election. Before leaving for site I had two days with my future counterpart, Marvin at the training center along with all the other volunteers and their counterparts. Marvin is twenty four and runs the SID office in my site, while simultaneously finishing his thesis to graduate from a university in the capital. He’s going to be very interesting to work with, no doubt. He was nice enough to drive down from Chimaltenango so I could move my things to site without having to brave the chicken bus with all my worldly belongings.

Once we arrived I was met by the volunteer who I’ll be replacing, who graciously showed me around town, introducing me to several of her friends in the area, all of which first asked her if I could speak Spanish and, when I answered yes, asked me if I spoke K’akchiquel. So, although Spanish is the official language, it looks as though I’m going to have to start taking K’akchiquel lessons to relate on a more personal level with the residents of my town.

After arriving on Tuesday, I attended a day long meeting at the office (where we normally only spend one day a week, with the other four in the field) and was introduced to all the Promoters who work for SID in their various communities surrounding the municipal center. My office is all men, which I think will be a blessing in disguise. My predecessor is also a woman, and always enjoyed her job and her work environment.

After meeting with some friends in Tecpan, the closest city, I returned home to a very sad occasion. While I was away, the abuelita in my house, Aura's grandmother, passed away. She passed away on Friday night around 11PM and by Saturday morning when I walked up, the entire street in front of my house was canvassed with plastic chairs and tables, ready to receive visitors. The entire house had been taken over by the velorio, or the nine day mourning ceremony. For these next nine days, various events will take place in my house to honor her. So, from yesterday morning to next Sunday, people will continue to stop by at all hours, day and night, to pay their respects. Meanwhile, according to velorio tradition, my family offers them food and snacks every few hours for the entire nine days, not to mention a never ending supply of coffee to keep them awake. So, for these next nine days hopefully I can offer some kind of help.

Today we’ll be walking the entire distance from the house to the church (almost a mile) in a group of over 300, preceded by a banner and flowers and followed by a 5 person band playing hymns. After the church service we will proceed uphill to the cemetery to complete the cepelio, the day long procession surrounding the funeral. It will be a very solemn time for sure, but it really is a wonderful send-off.

Until next time..

No comments: